Monday, January 27, 2020

My Feedback Thoughts

I have struggled with perfectionism ever since I moved to a new school that used the grading system of A-F. My understanding of this scale is that it ranked people from best to worst. Combining this understanding with my competitive nature, resulted in a little me that always wanted to be on top, and in order to be on top I had to be perfect. As I grew older and entered high school, I knew my perfectionism became an issue as it was causing me unnecessary stress and resulting in me taking a long time to do work. More so, my perfectionism became a bigger issue in college when I realized that I was robbing myself from the opportunity of learning because I was just focused on getting something right. Through reading the article How to Overcome Perfectionism: Your Complete Guide, I was able to grasp some ideas on how to become a healthy perfectionist. On of these ideas include that I should celebrate every small victory and give myself credit where I deserve it. I have the tendency to overlook the small victories and have the mindset of "what's next?" or "what else is there to do?" Now, however, I want to improve myself and I am going to do this by celebrating the small things.

I have also enjoyed reading the article Why Socializing Girls to Be Perfect Could Be the Worst Thing for Them. This article had quotes by Reshma Saujani who encouraged "young girls to be taught to be brave not perfect." Saujani says that teaching young girls to be brave "will add their intellect, compassion, and empathy to solving world's big problems." I think this is so crucial and should be applied. Even though I am not a little girl anymore, I believe this perspective is still applicable to my life. I want to be brave and courageous enough to fall down and learn how to climb back up. Through this class having a focus on growth mindset and feedback for learning, without any grades, I believe this will be a good start for me to be brave and not perfect. Then I can carry this experience with me to the next part of my life when I become the new hire and youngest at my place of work after college.



(Image of a quote about courage and bravery from the character Benjamin Mee from the movie 
We Bought a Zoo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment