Friday, January 31, 2020

Week 3 Story: Fighting for Our Love

Fighting for Our Love

"It has been past a half-hour and my husband is still not back from talking to his father. I wonder what has happened in there?" I thought as I was pacing back and forth and kept glancing up and down towards the room of the Maharajah thinking about Rama.

I was confused by my thoughts because I am not usually this agitated. Why was I feeling so worried? I knew the Maharajah and he seemed like a good man. After all he did raise Rama! Still, however, I could not shake the worry away. I just have this gut feeling that something was wrong

At last! I saw at a distance, Rama approaching. He was waking slowly and when I finally saw him closer, I saw my husband's eyes so saddened.

Rama said, "I have exiled by my mother, and my father is fulfilling her wish. I must go now, but you will be safe here. Baharata will now become the successor so he will serve as rajah. They will take care of you here"

As I heard these words come out of my true love's mouth, my heart broke into pieces. I did not realize I could love someone this much, that at the thought of him leaving I truly felt weak like I was dying. I could not leave his side no matter what!

I said Rama, "I am coming with you. It is the job of a wife to accompany her husband and I am not leaving your side. As long as I am with you, I will be happy as can be even if it's in the jungle. If you leave me Rama, I will for sure die."

As I was saying this, Rama had a single tear slowing going down his face. This broke my heart. I have never seen him cry before.

Rama responded to me saying, "I love you Sita more than I love my own life, but I cannot let you suffer because of me. I would rather have you here in the palace, where I know you will be safe and taken care of. Wait here and I will return again."

I was not going to let him leave without me so I said more sternly to him,"Wherever your are, my heart is too. What good is it to live here, if my heart is elsewhere? I am coming with you. I know life won't be easy after this. Life in the juggle will be hard and different. However, that struggle will be an easier one than being without you here."

Still Rama would not let me come with him. While I understood his reasons, I still knew where I needed to be. I love my husband and I should take care of him no matter the cost. So, I fell at his feet and pleaded to be with him.

Then after a while, he finally allowed me to join him. I held his hand and all felt better in the world.


(Image containing a quote that represents the fought love between Sita and her husband.)



Author's Notes:

  • Bibliography. "Rama Goes into Exile" in PDE Ramayana, Part A from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. 
  • In the episode Rama Goes into Exile from PDE Ramayana, Part A, the story is in third person (along with the rest of the episodes). However, I wanted to explore something in the first person but from Sita's perspective.
  • In the original story, Rama came up to Sita to tell her that she was banished from the kingdom and that he must leave. 
  • Sita argues that she should go with Rama and was persistent until Rama finally agreed. 
    • However, I wanted to dive deeper in the feelings and what was going on in Sita's head. 
    • While she was persistent on the outside, I wanted to give more of an inside look.
  • Unlike in the original story, where the story includes scenes with Lakshmana, and more scenes with the Maharajah and Kaikeyi, my story does not have them. 
    • While these scenes are important. I wanted to focus on the love story and the bonding strength between Rama and Sita.
    • If I was to create further stories, I would make this story in a separate episode to the scenes with Lakshmana, the Maharajah, and Kaikeyi. Therefore, this story, "Fighting for Our Love" is an episode that just revolves around Sita and Rama. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zhanie, great job on the story. I always enjoy being able to see different perspectives of a story and you do that really well by showing Sita's point of view here. You really show Sita's feelings and the relationship she has with Rama. The only thing I saw that you could work on is proofreading a bit more carefully. You could try reading your story aloud, I find that helps with catching any missing words or typos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zhanie,
    I really liked how your wrote this story from Sita's perspective! I enjoy reading about their relationship and how it grows and using the story as a way to share from her perspective was so smart. I think it was a very simple choice (one that I wish I had come up with), but it had so much more meaning behind her words and thoughts. I read the book more modernized book version of the Ramayana and it sort of explained how Sita was feeling through her dialogue, but writing it from her perspective gives her character a whole new level for readers to understand. What made you choose to tell the story this way and what made you keep the plot the same as the original? You could even add more personality to the character background of Sita by adding another character that Sita could have been talking with while she waited for Rama.

    ReplyDelete